VAMPS - Book 4
Prologue
You’d think when something happens like five-hundred times in the past few years, you’d be used to it. That’s normal, right? Well what if it’s not. Sometimes things take a little longer to get used to, unfortunately. This was one of those things. It’s one thing when you’re mother tells you you’re moving, and another when you find out there’s more to your supernatural world than meets-the-eye.
As I walked towards him I grew more scared with each step. Yet, I took another. When I was only a few feet away from him, I nodded.
And then I waited for the hunter to move in on it’s kill. Me.
Chapter One
“Katie, come over to my house after school. I need math help,” My best friend, Kennedy, reported nothing new. Practically the whole school knew she was failing math. I nodded in agreement and waited for her to keep rambling on. She didn’t. I risked a glance up and saw her staring, wide eyed, open mouthed, at the table in the far corner of the lunch room. I followed her gaze and quickly looked away when I saw what she was looking at.
It was a boy. He looked fairly young, more like a freshman than the junior that the table he was sitting at was labeled . His skin was beautifully tan, his midnight colored hair short and spiked. He was muscular, it looked like he worked out a lot. He was tall, about six foot. None of this was what made me glance away. I re-directed my gaze because his bright, deep, green eyes were staring right back at me.
“Who’s he?” Kennedy asked. I glanced at her and she was smiling. Her eyes had lit up, and she looked pleased with what she saw. Inside me I giggled at her appearance. She reached one hand up and patted her hair down, trying to smooth it out. Kennedy was such a sucker for boys. I might have to agree with her on this one though. The mysterious, young looking boy was fairly cute, in my opinion. I couldn’t contain my laughter, and a little giggle escaped. “What’s so funny, Kate?” Kennedy asked when she heard my sniffle.
I gave her the eyes. You know, the eyes that say, ‘No dip, you should know.’ “Isn’t it obvious, Kenn? Every boy that you see that has hair and a pepperoni free face, you are in love with. This is just another addition to that collection of yours,” I rolled my eyes and looked back down at my spaghetti that was starting to get slightly cold. I grabbed my yellow plastic fork off my tray and stuck it in the pile of spaghetti, then turned it. I took a big bite, and looked back up at Kennedy, waiting for a response.
But instead she was staring, wide-mouthed over towards where the new kid sat. “Kate, he’s coming over here.” She leaned in towards me, in order not to be heard.
I jerked my head around.
"DON'T LOOK NOW!" she loudly, whispered. (If that's possible) I whipped my head back around to her; Whacking the kid next to me with my long hair.
“Ow, gosh Katie. Be careful with your weapons!” Aaron laughed, then turned back to his buddies to laugh about Kennedy and I. I rolled my eyes.
Kennedy immediately looked down at her soup, and soon I found out why. A few moments later he was standing above me, looking down at Kennedy and me. He cleared his throat. “Excuse me, do you think you could tell me where room 65 is? I’m new here,” I chuckled. Ah-viously. Like we wouldn’t know that. But I responded anyway,
“It’s over by the art room, and the nurses station.”
He only replied, “Thanks, be seeing you,” and walked away. Mysterious. Left us wondering, even better. He was new, and beautiful. A shiny new toy in the local classrooms of kindergarten children.
* * *
“Nope, it’s 5xy, not 5y. Because don’t forget, you have to-” My phone rang. The caller ID read, ‘Caitlin,’ So I picked it up. “Ello? Oh hey Caitlin,” a pause and then, “Homework with Kenn.”
“Uhh! Leave me out of this!” Kennedy rolled her eyes. She hated Caitlin. I just rolled my eyes, and then continued onto our conversation.
“Yeah,” “Mhm.” I nodded; as usual Caitlin was the one carrying the conversation. “Oh yeah. Geometry? Number 24? Yeah, I got 8.64.” A long pause. “Oh wow, Caity. Hey but I can’t talk; like I said, I’m helping Kennedy with her homework.” I rolled my eyes then hung up.
“What’d she say? .. About me.. That was bad.. ?”
“Oh nothing..” I looked down at our open textbooks, notebooks, calculators, pens, and skittles. I grabbed a green skittle from the bunch and popped it in my mouth. I looked up at Kennedy and smiled.. That was until I saw her expression. She looked at me in a mixture of disbelief, anger, and I told you so. “Alright! She just said how you need all the help you can get with your homework. There. It’s not that bad, Kenn. I mean you are failing.
Her face dropped, but quickly came back as anger. It was then I remembered how sensitive Kennedy was. That was not a good thing to say.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment